“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.” ~ Fulton Oursle

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

New Lovelies

With the beginnings of fall upon us, antique shoppe season has officially begun. My absolute favorite time of year- pumpkin spiced lattes, vintage coats adorned with scarves and hats (which by the way look absolutely ridiculous on me, but I continue to wear them because they make me happy- who cares right?) This time of year allows me to frolic around finding unique treasures and trinkets.

I have always loved antiquing, since I was a child. As I grew up in Germany, their style is more so modernist, and the shabby chic antique thing just isn’t really in over there. I recall my Oma and Opa (German for Grandma and Grandpa) trying to talk me out of flea market finds. “What do you want with that old piece of junk? Its garbage! You don’t want that.” And my all-time favorite, “Junking” or Sparmulle, the day that German citizens could put old bulky junk out on the curb and the city would pick it up and dispose of it without cost to the owner. Normally they would have to take it to the landfill and pay a hefty price to have the item(s) taken off of their hands.  Sparmulle went on for three days; my three days of heavenly delight. I often dream of those days, driving aound the quiet streets looking for a treasure or two.
Industrial Cuff Bracelet



                                                           Victorian Compact Necklace
                                                    Skull Cameo Recycled Watch Bracelet
                                                      Frozen Charlotte Head Necklace
                                                                 Steampunk Earrings
                                                 Bisque Doll Hand Steampunk Necklace
                                                        Copper Chain Dangle Earrings
                                                      Steampunk Glass Bottle Necklace

                                                 Porcelean 1860s Frozen Charlotte Doll Necklace
 
 
 
                                       Available at http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmbivalentRelics

And now back to where I live, just south of Atlanta, a place I have grown to love, mainly due to the southern cuisine. (Oh my! And now eating has become one of my favorite things. ) Quaint little towns with squares lined with antique and junk shops is now my thing.

 My most recent class In early nineteenth century European history has inspired me to create some Victorian Industrial looking pieces. I love the unfinished strangeness of each piece. Each piece hand selected and fallen in love with by me. No two pieces are alike, and many I have a hard time letting go of, but I couldn’t keep all of it…or could I????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it all!

Ambivalent Relics said...

Love you too Anon. Damn Schmoopie!