“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.” ~ Fulton Oursle

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Power of Choice and My new distain for Verizon (Well, Kinda)



We all have the ability to choose to be happy, choose to be miserable and choose how we allow things to affect us. Knowing these principles is one thing, but applying them is another. Always easier said than done. As life happens and we find ourselves in situations unpleasing, we have the ability to choose how we will react to any given situation- be it right or wrong. I have been having this ongoing issue with Verizon the past few months. They claim that I was delinquent on a bill and put me as a “cash only” customer, in which you can only pay your bill in person at the store or call financial services online to make a payment over the phone, if they choose to do so. Now here’s the thing, I paid my phone bill the same time and same way I do every month, and have for years. I revived payment confirmation and went about my life. About three weeks later my boss, of all people came into the office and asked me if my phone was working, as he had tried to call and it wasn’t going through. Of course, I responded, and proceeded to call myself from the landline. He joked that I should perhaps pay my bill and that they probably shut it off. We both had a good giggle, knowing that was not the case. As my phone seemed to have issues and was not receiving calls, I called Verizon to inquire. They stated that I had not paid my bill and that they had turned my services off.
I advised them that there was obviously a mistake, and that I had received confirmation of payment. They stated that I had paid, and that three weeks later, they returned the payment to my bank for insufficient funds. This made absolutely no sense to me- as payments are always deducted within 24 hours of payment- if not within a few short minutes. And secondly, the funds were there!

I tried to speak with management about the mix up, but no one wanted to hear it. Common sense would not avail, nor would my immaculate track record of being a perfect paying customer for years. An error in their computer systems and a lack of caring and or reason on their side had turned me into a “bad customer”, who now had to battle multiple line transfer telephone calls to pay their monthly bills. At this point my ego is angry and insulted and no one is listening or cares. The reality of the situation is that Verizon wins. Companies and customer service has gone so far out the window that no one cares about keeping a good customer, it’s all about the money.  

At this point, I had a choice- I could yell at the manager (who prob could care less as he prob hears it several times a day), threaten to cancel my contract, and throw an outward temper tantrum at my desk screaming obscenities, spreading my negative energy all over the office and onto others in the near vicinity. I could have allowed it to affect my entire day, my attitude for the remaining work day, my driving in angry mode on the way home, and how I treated my boyfriend and pets when I arrived home.

Instead I chose to not be moved by that situation. True- it is ridiculous and wrong. And there is really nothing that I can do about it. I can choose to have a chuckle and shake my head and realize this is what the situation IS. The only choice I have regarding it is how I respond. I choose to not let if affect me and view it as a learning experience to enhance knowledge in the ability for the right to CHOOSE how life affects me, and those around me.

No comments: