“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.” ~ Fulton Oursle

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Soul Mate

be'shert - Yiddish for destined to be your beloved.

Anam Cara- Gaelic for soul companion.

Soul mates- One who creates a divine spark when you meet and you know that person instantly.


I have always believed that a person has may soul mates in life. Not just the romantic assortment, but people who give you a certain sense of completion when you are around them. I am quite convinced that I have many soul mates. Some life long connections such as my wonderful Mother, and some that are instantaneous- and upon your meeting your entire energy changes when they are in the room. When they are not around you- you feel like something is missing and a part of you is not quite right.


Upon re-reading one of my favorite books, Sacred Contracts by Carolin Myss, I found a passage that really struck a cord. It was a wonderful reminder and I thought I'd share. From her book, Myss quotes another author John O'Donohue. In the Buddhist tradition, they view soul mates more as Kalyana-mitra----or "noble friends". O'Donohue says your Noble Friend-

 "will not accept pretension but will gently and firmly confront you with your own blindness. No one can see life totally. As there is a blind spot in the retina of the human eye, there is also in the soul a blind side where you are not able to see. Therefore you must depend on the one you love to see for you what you cannot see for yourself."

I am greatfull to all of my soul mates for being there and seeing what I am not able to see on my own. They are wonderful teachers, an I am lucky to have them in my life.

No comments: